Nick's Reviews > The Sign of the Seahorse

The Sign of the Seahorse by Graeme Base

M_50x66
Sep 16, 08

Who doesn't want to read an epic poem about trout, crabs, sharks, and snails all searching for a little thing called "home"? The suspenseful tale that travelled the ocean floor with such memorable charcters as the Catfish gang and Pearl the trout was my first introduction to water pollution. It seems weird that this would be in a children's book, but Finnigan had to find out why the great reef was dying! The Grooper and his gang of miscreants were also very good adversaries for our heroes to overcome with their friend the fighting lobster! So intense were the nights when my dad would read this to me and my sister, despite the fact that we only ever got through one half at a time because it was in two parts, or "acts." But with the emotional ups and downs this book brings, the poetic rhyme and flow bring the adventure to a satifying and heartwarming conclusion. There is nothing more a little kid could ask for.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sign of the Seahorse.