Dana's Reviews > A Wild Sheep Chase

A Wild Sheep Chase by Haruki Murakami

Jun 15, 12

bookshelves: books-i-want-to-buy
Read from June 11 to 15, 2012

Having initially read Dance Dance Dance, reading this book was like having all the pieces of some obscure puzzle come together and finally being able to see the final picture.

A Wild Sheep Chase is as much confusing as it can be clarifying; in all aspects, it truly lives up to it's name of being a chase. Chasing towards something you might not completely be sure of, but have to in the same sense because there's really nothing left. Taking chances and stepping out of the box into a whole new different container, the book leads you to ask questions you never really thought to formulate.

As I say with every other Murakami book, A Wild Sheep Chase is a wonderful read. It's a must for any reader and a need for every Murakami lover.

P.S. Suggestion: Read Dance Dance Dance right after for continuity.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Wild Sheep Chase.

Quotes Dana Liked

Haruki Murakami
“I get irritated, I get upset. Especially when I'm in a hurry. But I see it all as part of our training. To get irritated is to lose our way in life.”

Haruki Murakami
“Body cells replace themselves every month. Even at this very moment. Most everything you think you know about me is nothing more than memories.”

Haruki Murakami
“I don't know, there's something about you. Say there's an hourglass: the sand's about to run out. Someone like you can always be counted on to turn the thing over.”

Haruki Murakami
“I guess I felt attached to my weakness. My pain and suffering too. Summer light, the smell of a breeze, the sound of cicadas - if I like these things, why should I apologize?”

Haruki Murakami
“Probably we’d have been better off born in nineteenth-century Russia. I’d have been Prince So-and-so and you Count Such-and-such. We’d go hunting together, fight, be rivals in love, have our metaphysical complaints, drink beer watching the sunset from the shores of the Black Sea. In our later years, the two of us would be implicated in the Something-or-other Rebellion and exiled to Siberia, where we’d die. Brilliant, don’t you think? Me, if I’d been born in the nineteenth century, I’m sure I could have written better novels. Maybe not your Dostoyevsky, but a known second-rate novelist. And what would you have been doing? Maybe you’d only have been Count Such-and-such straight through. That wouldn’t be so bad, just being Count Such-and-such. That’d be nice and nineteenth century.”

06/11/2012 page 34
9.0% "Borrowed this one; already yearning to buy a copy of my own. Murakami is a beast; I'll drop every other book to read his."
06/11/2012 page 64
17.0% "I'm finishing this book through hell or high-water. Classes, shmasses."
06/12/2012 page 148
40.0% "Going through the book fast; interest not at all waning. Perhaps I may even finish it by tonight."