Dan Wright's Reviews > Medusa

Medusa by Sasha Summers

5101917
May 31, 12

Read from May 16 to 30, 2012

This is actually the third book I’ve read from Crescent Moon Press (the others being Wasteland and The Curse of Gremdon) and I had to be honest I wasn’t too swayed by either of those books. However, I did enjoy this book very much and loved the interesting take on the story. Whereas Medusa is often portrayed as a monstrous character that Perseus has to overcome, here she is portrayed in a more sentimental and tragic light.

For those who know the story of Medusa (and minor spoilers here if you don’t) Medusa was actually once a beautiful maiden that was raped by Poseidon in Athena’s temple and then transformed into a beast by Athena as punishment. That is how the story kinda goes for Medusa here and it really works well. Miss Summers is able to really capture the emotion of the piece and we feel for the character.

I felt so sorry for Medusa – she never does anything wrong and yet she always seems to get punished for it. Used as a plaything for the god Poseidon and then betrayed by Athena (a goddess whom she loves and worships), you can’t help but hope some good comes for her. All she wants is to fall in love but even that is prevented. I don’t think it’s giving away too much to say what her fate is, but even so I thought her punishment was really harsh.

Ariston is the hero of the piece, a Greek soldier whom falls in love with Medusa. Most males characters in romance stories, I find anyway, can be fairly stoic and uninteresting – but thankfully Ariston is a true hero. This is a man that is willing to go through hell (literary) to save the woman he loves. Even when he learns of her curse, that still doesn’t stop him going to her. I won’t say too much – but the scene where Ariston and Medusa meet again after she has been cursed will definitely break a few hearts.

The subplot involving the Gods was well put together and never once felt like a distraction to the main plot. Poseidon is a really d*** that wants nothing more than to outdo Athena. And even Athena is a treacherous cow in this. I liked the way that they were portrayed as humanly as possible (after all, the Gods did have the emotions of humans) and that made them more realistic for me.

If I did have ONE complaint with the book it would be the formatting. It just didn’t look right to me and the pages were laid out like a word page, meaning that there was a lot of empty space at the end sometimes. It’s kinda hard to explain – but write a few sentences on a word document and then justify the words and you’ll see what I mean. But that’s the only negative comment I can really make about this book.

Speaking as someone who isn’t actually a great reader of romance, I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It was an interesting take on the myth of Medusa and one that will not disappoint. Whether you know the story or not, I recommend this book if you want a good, sometimes heart wrenching, romantic read.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Medusa.

05/16/2012 page 71