Jennifer's Reviews > Same Kind of Different as Me

Same Kind of Different as Me by Ron Hall

May 15, 12

I read this for a book club and I admit I knew very little about the plot/content beforehand. But I pleasantly surprised and really enjoyed it. I learned so much about a myriad of topics. I feel like my eyes were opened. I had no idea that sharecropping was keeping black people in slavery well into the 1970s in Louisiana. The living conditions were horrific to say the least. Becoming homeless honestly was a step up. The book is set up to tell the story from two points of view in an every other chapter kind of way. One chapter is one person telling his story and the next will be about the other person's story and then toward the end, how they meet, form an unlikely friendship and decide to write this book. The writing isn't super duper, but I don't think it has to be to tell a great story. It was so moving and inspirational. Reading this book made me want to be a better person. I was impressed with the true Christian Spirit of these people; Their ability to be nonjudgmental and service oriented. We need more people who are motivated in this way to make this world a better place.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Same Kind of Different as Me.