Kirsty's Reviews > Can't Let Go

Can't Let Go by Jane Hill
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Can't Let Go.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Magennis I read so many crime novels that I hoped-would-be-better that I sometimes wonder if I'm looking in the wrong genre.

Kirsty To be fair to the book, I only thought it would be better because I really enjoyed Jane Hill's other two books. If I'd never read her before I'd probably have enjoyed this more, but it felt like an inferior copy of her other two.

If you don't mind me being nosy, which crime novels disappointed you? Any really good ones to recommend?

message 3: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Magennis I don't know if I'm a good judge tbh. I tend to read crime novels very fast and often barely remember the author or title. But offhand ... I love the Harry Bosch novels - noir LA. Love Chandler - is that crime? Really enjoyed a lot of the Kay Scarpetta/Patricia Cornwell series, though they got quite grisly s/times and I don't go for torture stuff. Hen's Teeth by Manda Scott was great. Broken Shore is one of my all time favourite novels of any genre. Love it. I quite enjoy PD James, although she does go on a bit, and she also obviously has a bet on with someone to see if she can use the word 'exophthalmic' in EVERY SINGLE novel she writes (I'm not kidding). I've read a ton of crime but the majority I don't remember after about a week. Oh, also liked Peter Nesbo.

How about you, who would you rate? I love a good crimmy and would welcome suggestions!

Kirsty Haha, I do that too! I look back at my reading journal and apparently I've read all these Agatha Christie books, but I couldn't tell you what they're about if my life depended on it. It's like eating a bag of crisps: enjoyable, but not very nourishing.

I've tried a few Patricia Cornwell but didn't get into them – the narrative style is so distant. I've been halfway through Hen's Teeth for about six months, don't know why I'm not into it! I'll definitely try Broken Shore though.

My main problem with crime novels is that it's always beautiful young women being tortured and murdered in horrible ways, and it's so offensive and so very, very boring. I'm leaning more towards psychological thrillers now, because they tend not to have that aspect.

I really recommend the first two Tana French novels (Into the Woods and The Likeness), The Chimney Sweeper's Boy by Barbara Vine, Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn, and A Child's Book of True Crime by Chloe Hooper. Also, I like Nicci French (silly but fun) and Mary Stewart (a bit old-fashioned but so atmospheric). Let me know if you have any more recommendations!

message 5: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Magennis Oh, yes, Nicci French is very slick. I'm always v impressed, though I do get the feeling you can see the perfect cogs being polished and laid into place.

Thanks for those recs, will add to my list right away.

How do I find psych thrillers? Is that a separate section in bookshops? I always assume thrillers will be more violent, for some reason. I loathe graphic violence/torture in books. In fact I burned one last year because it made me so angry (used real life torture stories as part of the 'plot'. I thought that was unforgivable manipulation.)

I think this is another case of publishers misreading and underestimating the reading public. I hear them say fairly often that people want more and more graphic violence. I really don't think that's true - people want more and more character, plot, and good writing, imo.

Sorry, tangent. I'll come back with more recs if I remember any of them. I jsut finished 'Trespass' by Rose Tremain, not crime per se but there is a murder and a mystery and it's a very well written book.