Junix Jerald's Reviews > The Lover's Dictionary

The Lover's Dictionary by David Levithan

Nov 14, 12

Read in November, 2012

I am really impressed with David Levithan. Having read a few of his published novels, I have not been disappointed in any of his novels yet. Levithan always gives his readers something fresh with his works and he is a writer that has written novels in different forms. Aside from the traditional format with chapters and regular paragraphs, he also has a book that is written in verses, and now The Lover’s Dictionary, which is much like a dictionary as its title suggests.

The Lover’s Dictionary depicts the ups and downs that people in relationships go through. The gender of the person whose point-of-view it was written was not mentioned. I think that the main character was intentionally made to be genderless so that the reader could really be in the shoes of the narrator regardless of gender.

It is not at all hard to relate with what the character is saying or describing, it was ultimately relatable. I cannot even describe the feels that this book caused me. I finished it in a day, less than a day, actually. I wanted to choose a favorite word from The Lover’s Dictionary, but I ended up taking note of a lot of words so I did not anymore choose my favorite.

David Levithan did not concentrate only between the couple involved in the relationship, but he also focused on the people around the couple—both their families and friends. It is a good thing that he did it that way because relationships really take place in a bigger milieu. But he did in such a manner that the other characters did not steal the spotlight from the main characters.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lover's Dictionary.