Melissa's Reviews > The Eye of the World

The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan

F_50x66
Sep 16, 08

Read in January, 1996, read count: 7

The entire Wheel of Time series is fabulous, especially since most of the books have now been published and one can just breeze right through them. Well, as much as one can breeze through a book that is two to three times the size of most novels, and a series that will span 12 novels of this size by the time it is done...

To even give a summary of the storyline is pretty close to impossible. There are several main characters with distinct talents, personalities, and roles in the conflict to come. Everything is building up toward a final battle of Good vs. Evil. The person who is the only chance that the world will survive - the Dragon Reborn - is trying to unite the world for this epic battle, yet through it all people are still trying to selfishly gain power/money/etc. and just looking out for themselves. Change quickly envelopes the world and chaos reigns. Will the Dragon Reborn be able to unite the world and save it? Will everyone continue to fight it and reap their own destruction? What will this world look like by the time it is all said and done?

The final book, A Memory of Light, is due to be published in the Fall of 2009. It will be authored by Brian Sanderson since Robert Jordan unfortunately passed away in September 2007 from a rare blood disease, leaving behind a partial manuscripts, copious notes and detailing the rest of the story to his closest friends and family. Don't let that stop you from starting the series now, though!

If you don't have time to devote to reading on a regular basis, then this probably isn't the series for you unless you have a great memory. If you love being immersed in a world with varying character interactions, power struggles, intrigues, cultures and enjoy the epic Good vs. Evil battle, then prepare to be amazed! These books are not intended to be read individually, but are part of a huge overarching storyline. They must be read sequentially to be enjoyed.

I've read this series in its entirety each time a new book came out and enjoyed it each time. There is so much in each book, and the series itself is huge. I grow to know the characters and the situation better the more I read it, and my awe for Robert Jordan as a writer continues to increase. I can't wait to read the final installment. This is one of two series that I've actually pre-ordered the next book and paid hardcover price for and considered it well worth it. The other was Harry Potter.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Eye of the World.