Karen's Reviews > The Devil in Silver

The Devil in Silver by Victor LaValle

Jun 15, 12

bookshelves: won-in-giveaway
Read in June, 2012

I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway and devoured it shortly after it's arrival.

The author has well researched his subjects, given great depth to his characters and provided you with an ending you are not expecting.

What I took away from this book, though it is fiction, is it draws serious questions to our treatment of the mentally ill (and non mentally ill). Our health care system as a whole has problems, but what happens to the people that can't advocate for themselves. Scary, scary.

The book shows us compassion and caring for individuals that don't fit the norm of society. It presents us with examples of little things we can do for people that can have a tremendous effect on their level of comfort, ease their confusion and their long term life, etc. It also shows by example how some can be excluded because of their over bearing personalities (the rat). We see how our health can be triggered by things in our environment or by being overly medicated. Things aren't always as they appear.

It all goes back to the great saying....treat others like (or better than) you want to be treated!

I enjoyed the book and look forward to reading others by this author.y
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Devil in Silver.

06/10/2012 page 56
06/14/2012 page 229
49.0% "enjoy hanging with the chronics & the devil"
06/15/2012 page 326
70.0% "enjoy hanging with the chronics & the devil"
show 1 hidden update…