Annika's Reviews > Deep in the Valley

Deep in the Valley by Robyn Carr

May 31, 11

Read from May 29 to 30, 2011

This is ultimate fluff. It's perfect for a grandmother who wants to pass the time between crocheting afghans and petting her cat. It's safe and so sweet your teeth will hurt. I'm sure in some part I was supposed to cheer, but I'm too "POLICE BRUTALITY" to do so, even if the guy DID deserve an asp in the kneecaps.

I guess that's fiction.

This saccharine-sweet story was given its chance because Robyn Carr wrote the Virgin River series, which only the first 3 books of those are worth reading...so this one had okay reviews. Robyn Carr has this knack of tying in all her little characters and stories together, and I remember Dr. June Hudson (Post? Stone?) mentioned in the Virgin River books, but can't remember her last name.

Ending this book, I'm confused as to why I even read it. Or what it was about. Or what the point was. The book is loaded with two-dimensional, secondary characters trying to pose as three-dimensional humanistic ones.

Dr. June Hudson is thirty-seven, as we are oft reminded, and her biological clock is bonging in her ear, but she isn't so sure she wants to be married because there are no eligible men in town. She doesn't necessarily want to do anything to get a baby, she just wants a baby. Aaaaand, she's a doctor. But she seems confused over basic biology.

So she treats pregnant teenagers, young mothers with five children who live on farms, and abused wives. This town has a lot of domestic abuse. She needs help running her clinic so she hires Dr. Stone, a handsome "dorky" married doctor who helps her out and all the women in town swoon over. I kind of thought June and Dr. Stone would hook up, even though that seemed a bit scandalous for such a fluffy story..but I'm not exactly sure why he was written into the story.

June's office gets broken into by two men with fake beards, and she's not afraid, so she treats the one who has a gunshot wound. The other one has beautiful blue eyes behind his fake beard and he winks at her, so she decides she's obsessed with him. He shows up exactly twice more, and talks to her like an old friend, and she figures out he's a DEA agent scoping out local marijuana growers in the mountains. He doesn't tell her this because he's supersecretive, but she guesses it. And we are reminded of this, if we are still reading.

So since no one locks their doors in this town, we are okay with Jim (the DEA agent) showing up in June's house unexpected. And we're okay with her going to seek birth control all of a sudden, even though she wants a baby, and that's the most risque decision June makes in the entire story. Shock me!

We are also supposed to be okay and not confused with the author's Duggar-heavy use of J names: June, John, Jurea, Jessica, Jim, Julianne, and I'm sure I'm missing some more. And once again, the author tries to fool us that a thirty=seven year old woman is best friends with a married male cop, and they hang out and have coffee and discuss oh, medical and police things, and everyone is okay with this.

The entire male/female relationships in this book are unbelievable. Dr. Stone (the handsome married doctor, remember, who has more page-time than any other male in this story) helps deliver this baby at a farmhouse and he's all goo-goo eyed over the baby, then June says something like she can't hold the baby either or she'll want one badly (weirdooo!) and they both reluctantly (WHAT, REALLY?) hand the baby over to its mother. This is a book full of awkwaaaaaaard moments, with all the characters.

Ugh. I've wasted too much time on this review. Don't waste your time, unless you want something safe and sweet and confusing. Read the first "Virgin River" book instead. MUCH better written, and about the same storyline.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deep in the Valley.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kim (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kim Couldn't agree more with your review.