Jamie's Reviews > Paris, I Love You but You're Bringing Me Down

Paris, I Love You but You're Bringing Me Down by Rosecrans Baldwin

May 28, 12

bookshelves: read-in-2012
Read from May 24 to 28, 2012

Loved this. It was a perfect vacation (Michigan) read: light and funny, but also with some depth. Perceptive. The author really does a great job of describing the love/hate relationship most of us have with Paris, including native Parisians, apparently. So beautiful! So bureaucratic! So lively and lovely, yet contrary and cranky. So, so French.

I really related to what it is like to struggle through learning their language. The feeling of being so tired of working so incredibly hard all the time just to know what's going on around you. The frustration that one tiny little pronunciation mistake completely changes the whole shebang. This novel brought all of those feelings back.

What I found sad about the novel is that the author only stayed one year. That first year he started a new job, in a new field, in a new country, with a new language. I can't help but wonder if the second year would have yielded a much different experience, now that he had the language, culture, and job parts mastered. That was quite disappointing. Someone else needs to write about the second year in Paris to fill me in on that experience!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Paris, I Love You but You're Bringing Me Down.