Bronwyn Trusty's Reviews > Heaven is for Real: A Little Boy's Astounding Story of His Trip to Heaven and Back

Heaven is for Real by Todd Burpo

May 14, 12

** spoiler alert ** I heard nothing but amazing things about this book and had to read it. It is about the compelling story of a four year old little boy named Colton. His dad, Todd, is a pastor at a church in a small town in Nebraska. The story is told from the father Todd, about Colton's near death and back to life again experience. Colton becomes very ill, with stomach flu like symptoms. After a couple doctor visits, with the same results coming back-the stomach flu- Colton becomes increasingly more sick. This forces his parents to take him to another, much larger hospital where they find out Colton has a ruptured appendix among other health issues that arise from this. During Colton's emergency surgery, his parents struggle with their faith in God and the reason behind their son's unexpected health. Being a pastor of a church, this puts Todd in a difficult place spiritually, mentally, physically, and emotionally. Luckily, Colton makes it through surgery. With his health still in jeopardy, and weeks of waiting, the family can finally leave...with Colton. On a family trip, a year later, Colton begins to tell the family about a spiritual experience during his surgery that came with complications. A story of him meeting his great grandfather who had died 30 years prior to Colton being born, a sister who Colton's mother lost in a miscarriage that Colton was completely unaware of, and sitting on Jesus' lap. He recalled seeing his father in a waiting room in turmoil during his surgery and his mother in tears. All of this makes up this outstanding story of this little boy and a story of faith.
This story touched my heart. You can feel the genuine spirit of this little boy with such a big heart. It's a moving story with a lot of depth. I wouldn't teach this book in my class because religion and faith is heavily discussed throughout the entire story. I would recommend it to students, however, because it is a touching book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heaven is for Real.