Kristin Walcott Figueroa's Reviews > The Cure

The Cure by Bradlee Frazer

May 23, 12

Read from May 14 to 20, 2012

This book is an easy-to-read, fast-paced, page-turner. The story line is gripping, and I couldn’t wait to see how everything would be reconciled in the end. I especially hoped that Jason’s witch of wife got what was coming to her. And without giving too much away, let’s just say that I was not disappointed.

In an interview on the blog Characters Well Met, author Bradlee Frazer said his characters “serve as vehicles to move the plot forward.” I can certainly see that in the protagonist, Jason Kramer. Jason is a down-to-earth laid back individual that allows himself to be manipulated by his wife, friends, and others that come into his life. At times, I found myself wanting to shake him to get him to stand up for himself. And sometimes the things he did and said had me muttering out loud, warning him against his own stupidity. But despite his flaws, he is a very likeable guy. I really wanted him to win in the end. But even more so, I wanted his wife, her lover, and the despicable CEO of Porter Pharmaceuticals to get exactly what they deserved.

The author succeeds in creating some truly detestable characters. Jason’s wife, Linda is a greedy, self-centered witch. Her lover, Keith, is just as bad. The way his character develops and eventually out manipulates Linda is perfect. Porter is a loathsome chain-smoking bully that worships the almighty dollar and has no regard for human life. Porter’s henchman, Walter, is a cold-blooded killer who rounds out the cast of villains.

One of the stand-out characters for me is Craig Marcus. Although he heads up Porter’s research team, he has a conscience. He always seems on the brink of doing the right thing—just teetering there on the edge. At each turn of the page I was waiting for him to find his voice, waiting for him to take a stand, waiting…waiting…

All in all, I found the book to be a pleasurable read. The characters and circumstances propelled the action forward at good pace. I looked forward to every moment I could dedicate to reading. I wanted to see what the characters would do next and how the circumstances would resolve themselves. I highly recommend it to anyone that enjoys a fast-paced thriller.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cure.