Rebekah Choat's Reviews > The Circle Maker: Praying Circles Around Your Biggest Dreams and Greatest Fears

The Circle Maker by Mark Batterson

May 28, 2012

bookshelves: owned
Read in May, 2012

The Circle Maker opens with the story of Honi, a Hebrew sage from the generation before the birth of Christ, whose prayer, according to legend, resulted in the breaking of a severe drought, thereby saving the people of Israel from decimation. So great was his trust and reliance on God that he drew a circle on the ground, knelt down inside it, and announced that he would not move until rain fell from heaven.

I generally approach books that promise to tell me how to get my prayers answered with a certain degree of skepticism. Okay, actually, I don’t generally even approach those books unless I’m required to for a church class I’m in, or, as in this case, asked to by a trusted friend. After reading The Circle Maker, I still trust my friend and her discernment.

Batterson makes it clear early on that he isn’t touting a magic formula, recommending bargaining with God, or even promising that we will see what we consider favorable outcomes. He is encouraging us to place our fondest hopes, our wildest imaginations, our most audacious wishes, in the hands of the Omnipotence. He is challenging us to set goals that can only be realized through divine intervention. He is exhorting us to dream big, to think long, to pray hard – to work as if everything depends on us, but to pray and trust as if everything depends on the Lord, which of course it does.

The book is filled with examples, not only from the author’s life, but also from many others, some with instantly recognizable names, some known only to a few. Delays and setbacks encountered, even outright mistakes made, as well as amazing coincidences and miraculous occurrences are recorded in the experiences of ordinary people who ultimately saw extraordinary results to their faithful prayers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Circle Maker.

02/02 marked as: read