Abeer Hoque's Reviews > I Wish Someone Were Waiting for Me Somewhere

I Wish Someone Were Waiting for Me Somewhere by Anna Gavalda

Jun 08, 12

bookshelves: i-recommend
Read from May 14 to 15, 2012

I wish the oceans didn't separate the lit worlds so. British books sometimes make it over this way, and sometimes translations of foreign language books, but not enough. So it took a hearty recommendation from a friend who lives in Paris for me to pick up this fabulous French book by Anna Gavalda: I Wish Someone Were Waiting for Me Somewhere, which took the French world by storm, and then went international. I myself devoured it in two days.

IWSWWfMS is a collection of stories, some so short as to be vignettes, but don't imagine that narrative or character are sacrificed, not even for a split second. The personalities leap off the page, and the stories just get better and better (and they start off great).

The range of characters is awesome, and their stories precisely and deeply described. The language is fresh and modern (perhaps a little too much so, but that's maybe my only complaint - it comes off almost slangy and careless sometimes - but maybe this is the translation).

I can remember almost every one of the stories now, but the ones that jumped out at me included the one about the returning military soldier who falls for his brother's girlfriend, the one about a pregnancy, the one about a chance encounter between two would be lovers, the one about the two rich boys who take daddy's car out to a party, the one about a female vet working in a rural village, and the one about the sales rep whose mindless error changes his life. Oh I remember another complaint - unimaginative titles, so I won't bother looking them up for this review. But don't worry, you don't need them. You can read IWSWWfMS in one delicious shot, and you won't regret it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Wish Someone Were Waiting for Me Somewhere.