Heather's Reviews > The Picture of Dorian Gray

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde

Sep 14, 12

bookshelves: classics, horror, 5-star-reads
Read from September 11 to 14, 2012

Wow! I had no idea just how dark and horrific this book was going to be. I love that it caught me off guard like that. It’s not the kind of story that I can say I enjoyed per se, but one that was I was completely fascinated by. Watching Dorian Gray fall into a totally self-indulgent, pleasure-driven, immoral lifestyle, and then seeing the effects of that lifestyle and the toll it took on his soul was like watching a train wreck. Craziness!

I pretty much loved most everything about this book. The only real negative was some description overkill in a couple of chapters in the middle of the story. Wilde went a little crazy with the details and I found myself getting bored a few times. All the other amazing aspects of the story outweigh that little complaint, though. The atmosphere was incredible, so rich and palpable. And the characters, my gosh….they were all pretty much unlikable. But their cynicism and their seriously distorted philosophy on life and humanity were so darn interesting that I didn’t care that I didn’t like them! I couldn’t stop marveling at how they lived, how totally self-centered they were, and their complete disregard for others. This made for some great entertainment, that’s for sure! A fantastic read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Picture of Dorian Gray.

Quotes Heather Liked

Oscar Wilde
“Words! Mere words! How terrible they were! How clear, and vivid, and cruel! One could not escape from them. And yet what a subtle magic there was in them! They seemed to be able to give a plastic form to formless things, and to have a music of their own as sweet as that of viol or of lute. Mere words! Was there anything so real as words?”

Oscar Wilde
“You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
tags: sin

Oscar Wilde
“The only way to get rid of temptation is to yield to it.”

Oscar Wilde
“I don't want to be at the mercy of my emotions. I want to use them, to enjoy them, and to dominate them.”

Oscar Wilde
“Humanity takes itself too seriously. It is the world's original sin. If the cave-man had known how to laugh, History would have been different.”

Oscar Wilde
“Men marry because they are tired; women, because they are curious: both are disappointed.”

Oscar Wilde
“I have grown to love secrecy. It seems to be the one thing that can make modern life mysterious or marvelous to us. The commonest thing is delightful if only one hides it.”

09/12/2012 page 109
40.0% "Starting ch.7 - love Wilde's sarcastic sense of humor! Definitely enjoying this more this time around."
09/13/2012 page 159
59.0% "One complaint... Too many long, never-ending paragraphs!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Heather I'll happily give you that excuse you've been looking for! :) Just yesterday, I was checking out different ebook versions of his complete works, trying to find one that I liked the look and formatting of. Must have been a sign! I have a couple of other books lined up at the moment, but I could probably work this one in in a couple of weeks. Say mid-September(ish)? Would that time frame work for you? I'm flexible, though, and can certainly shift things around if you need me to! Let me know what works best for you. Yay! This will be fun! :)

Heather Excellent! Me too! :D

Heather Sounds great! Who knows, maybe we'll even tempt a few more to join us. :)

message 4: by Mike (new) - added it

Mike Hmmm, you're making the classics sound appealing. Nice review Heather.

Tasha I'm going to read your review after I finish reading the book, which I have started!! :D

Heather Thanks Mike!

Tasha, yay you've started! What do you think so far?

message 7: by Rusty (new) - added it

Rusty Have this one on my TBR for this year. Glad to hear that you liked it so much. I am looking forward to reading it.

Heather It was a great read, Rusty! I look forward to hearing what you think when you get to it. It's a pretty quick read, too.

message 9: by Moira (new)

Moira The movie version is quite well-done, too. Very poignant.

Heather Which movie version did you like, Moira? I know there is a more recent one with Ben Barnes, and then also an older one with Angela Lansbury and Donna Reed. I have the older one in my Amazon watchlist.

message 11: by Moira (new)

Moira I haven't seen the new one, so yep, the older one. Besides, who would turn down an opportunity to see the picture-perfect Angela Lansbury on-screen?

Heather Exactly! :)

Tasha Great review, Heather!!

Heather Thanks, Tasha! :)