Aaron's Reviews > Skinny Dip

Skinny Dip by Carl Hiaasen

May 14, 12

Read in May, 2012

My preconceived notions of Hiaasen, based mainly on the cover art for several of his books, was that he was a step between trashy romance novel and cheap fiction. Then I heard him being interviewed as a guest on NPR's 'Wait Wait Don't Tell Me,' and he seemed like a pretty funny person. 'Skinny Dip' was the only one of his books that the library had on audiobook, and so my choice was made.

It turns out that the subject matter in this case was about as smutty as I'd imagined - dirt bag husband attempts to murder his wife. But 'Skinny Dip' is not your typical mystery, thriller or sex romp. Yes, it does possess parts of all of the aforementioned traits, but it is done in a way that is minimally self-serving or masturbatory.

Joey, the would-be murdered bride, shadows her spouse with the help of a reclusive ex-cop who happens to rescue her. Meanwhile, a displaced midwesterner working as a Miami detective seeks closure to the case when others seem content to chalk it up to an everyday accident.

Hiaasen weaved a story that made contemplate to totality of justice and what that word means to different people in various situations. At times both raucous and tragic, 'Skinny Dip' is compelling enough to pull the reader through a day of data entry while still catalyzing a respectable amount of more philosophical pondering.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Skinny Dip.