Nenia Campbell's Reviews > The Dark Room

2190064
Mar 06, 14

bookshelves: publisher-vintage
Read from May 14 to 16, 2012

jinx kingsley wakes up in a medical clinic specializing in drug treatments and psychotherapy. she can't remember what happened to her - or claims not to - but is adamantly against the idea that she tried to kill herself. which means, if jinx is to be believed, that somebody else tried to kill her.

but who? and why?

one thing i loved was how complex this book was - there were many suspects and their motives weren't so contrived that i could tell who did it from page 50. in fact, i didn't figure it out until the unmasking at the very end. as the story goes on, we see that jinx has a very troubling relationship with her family; a relationship that may or may not involve sexual abuse and murder.

her luck in the romance department isn't much better. her fiance broke off their wedding at the last instant, claiming to be in love with her best friend. and her other boyfriends haven't been much better. she doesn't think she was upset about it, but denial can be a powerful thing...

and someone is going around brutally assaulting prostitutes in the nearby area.

are all these events connected, or are multiple psychopaths at large here?

i really enjoyed the dark room. it's actually my mom's book but she put it in my room by mistake and after reading the summary on the book jacket, i was intrigued enough to steal borrow it for myself. i was expecting something camp but ms. walters surprised me with a work that was surprisingly detailed, intensely psychological, and brilliantly plotted.

i've never heard of this author before but i'll definitely be keeping an eye out for her: her other books have received critical acclaim as well as various awards (including the edgar allen poe award), and i absolutely love her style.

four fiendish stars!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dark Room.