Cassie Hawkings's Reviews > Valiant

Valiant by Mike Tucker

** spoiler alert ** Valiant is the second book in the Adventures of Merlin book series. The book is also based heavily on the second episode of the first series (season) of the television series of the show.

In this adventure, Merlin has become Prince Arthur's servant after saving him from a witch's assassination attempt. There's a problem however. Merlin and Arthur HATE each other! However, Merlin is the key to keeping Arthur alive so that he can become the greatest king Albion has ever seen so our fearless sorcerer is stuck with a snobby and utterly stupid future king as his boss.

Anyway, onto the good bits. Its the annual knight's tournament and everyone in Camelot is excited. Merlin gets to experience the tournament firsthand as he helps Arthur prepare for the week's events. One of the competitors, known as Knight Valiant will do anything to win and wants to see Arthur dead so he buys a shield with magical properties to strike down every single one of his opponents in order to gain himself a spot alongside Arthur in the final round.

What I love about this book is how accurate it is to the episode. In fact, it could very well be better then the episode as you learn a lot more about the characters then what you do in the episode.

The characters are accurate in characterization. The dialogue is almost exactly like that in the episode. I've read a lot of novelizations this year whether they be based on film or tv shows and not all of them were as good as they might have appeared. This Merlin book is one of the best that I've read and I'm so glad I bought it.

A full 5 stars!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Valiant.

12/23/2014 marked as: currently-reading