L-D's Reviews > Seven Days

Aug 21, 12

bookshelves: m-m, hs-childhood-loves
Read on June 13, 2012

3.5 stars?

I went back and forth on the review for this book. This book focuses on 7 pivotal days in the life of the protagonist, Evan Donaldson. I really like the 7 day concept, but as I read the book, it didn't feel like 7 days to me since it spanned the MC's entire life. It flowed just like any other book in my opinion. I think maybe if each day were delineated a little better it would have jumped out more. I actually forgot as I was reading that it was 7 pivotal days. I think if the chapter titles were Day 1...Day 2...or maybe even within each chapter have "wake-up"...8:00...12:00...like the TV show "24"? Just some thoughts on how it would feel like 7 distinct days instead of one book. It didn't detract from my enjoyment of the book, it just didn't feel like 7 days as I was reading.

One interesting thing about this book that I noticed only because I read Andrew Grey's book Accompanied by a Waltz right before, is that in Waltz, the MC, Jonathon talked about his background and it was almost identical to Evan's background. It feels like Mr. Grey expanded on Jonathan's background and turned it into another book. The following spoiler is a spoiler for both this book AND Accompanied by a Waltz so do not click on this unless you are prepared to be spoiled twice! (view spoiler) So either Mr. Grey really liked that storyline in Waltz and wanted to make it into a new story all on its own, or Mr. Grey ran out of book ideas! I think it's the former, however, because it's very interesting and I can see why an author would want to expand on that story.

There are some decisions/choices made my characters or plot aspects in this book that didn't sit well with me.

(view spoiler)

I did enjoy reading this book and the issues I note in the spoiler section above did not overly detract from my overall enjoyment of this book.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Seven Days.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shera (Book Whispers) (last edited Aug 21, 2012 11:55AM) (new)

Shera (Book Whispers) I would think for a book titled 7 days that the author would want to make the days disticnt.

A 24 style would be sweet.

message 2: by L-D (new) - rated it 4 stars

L-D Did you read this? I didn't see that anyone else had an issue with it, so maybe it was just me. It was still a good book - just read like a book and not 7 days to me.

message 3: by Shera (Book Whispers) (last edited Aug 21, 2012 11:55AM) (new)

Shera (Book Whispers) No, I haven't gotten to it yet.

The reviews do look pretty positive.

message 4: by L-D (new) - rated it 4 stars