Jacob Proffitt's Reviews > False Covenant

False Covenant by Ari Marmell

May 14, 2012

bookshelves: balked-by-price, fantasy
Read from October 20 to 21, 2015

This one is much improved over the first in the series as both the problems I had with it were removed (the time jumps) or at least improved (the intrusive authorial voice). I still like Shins as much as I did in the first, and her supporting friends were as strong or stronger here.

You can't really read this one without reading the first (at least, I strongly recommend against), so I'll keep the rest of this short. I liked the story immensely. It was creepy and dark and yet the antagonists had an appropriate amount of gray when push came to shove. I particularly liked that Shins had the chance to get at the human side of at least some of her detractors and her methods in doing so were fantastic.

This is somewhat ameliorated (not in a good way) by how it seems Marmell doesn't know any other kind of love than romantic love. Shins' life is complicated enough without some of her allies twisted by jealousy—particularly as it is pretty clear where Shins' heart lies. I get the admiration. Shins is awesome and you can't help but admire her as you get to know her. But she's also pretty good about not sending mixed signals. So at least some of those feelings should have had time to become stronger and more supportive and start looking for ways to swing towards her obvious happiness in the love that she chose.

Also, I have problems with some of the ending events. I'm not even going to spoiler tag this because it's just too big, but I think Marmell bit off more than his talent could handle. His touch is too light for some of the depth that needed to be there for events as they transpired. I almost admire the attempt but found it too jarring, instead.

Which sounds way worse than the book is. The good stuff was pretty constant and the two things I'm complaining about were occasional and thus didn't affect the rating much. Oh, I went from a four and a half down to rounding up to a four, but the final star rating didn't actually change any. It's a solid fantasy adventure book and one I relished and had a hard time putting down.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read False Covenant.

10/21/2015 marked as: read