Claudine's Reviews > Almost a Scandal

Almost a Scandal by Elizabeth Essex

May 14, 2012

bookshelves: arc-netgalley
Read from May 16 to 18, 2012

This book is my first experience with Elizabeth Essex's writing. I have known of her for some time as her previous books are on my wish list of to be read but it was only now through NetGalley that I have had that pleasure.

Almost A Scandal is the start of the new Reckless Brides series. Bold, brazen, and beautiful, the Reckless Brides refuse to play by society’s rules of courtship. But—come hell or high water—they always get their man…

Our first bride is Sally Kent, the only female in a long line of a heroic naval family, with a father and 3 brothers all captains in the british royal navy.
The distractingly gorgeous Lieutenant David Colyear is an old family friend to the Kent brothers and is very dedicated to his duty and his ship the Audacious.

Sally makes the decision to become a "lady in disguise" believing she is saving her family's name, reputation and honor because Richard, her 15 year old brother, has run away from his duty of serving in the navy to study and join the church. Sally takes his place aboard the ship the Audacious as Richard's midshipman post that his father has set up for him.
Colyear is suspicious of Richard given what he remembers of him while at their family home studying for his lieutenant exam and the letters that the Kent brothers have written to him mentioning Richard. Col can't quite figure out why he is suspicious only that there is a remarked change in him from what he was lead to believe of the boy and he don't have time to contemplate the change as he has a ship to get underway. It is only a short while later that he suspects that it was Sally and not Richard and the truth is confirmed when he confronts her.

I did find sections of Elizabeth's writing to be a bit tedious with the technical descriptions about the life aboard and the workings of a naval ship. I know this was done to add a more realistic image to the story but felt there was a lack of background given about Lt. Colyear. It was only mentioned that he was a man with a history and hidden desires he harbored for Sally while staying with the Kent family. The interaction between Sally and Col was interesting to say the least with her pretending to be Richard and Col trying to ignore the growing desire he was feeling for her and when finally they do come together while on land for a mischief mission to cause chaos for the French navy. There was passion with Sally and Col coming together but it was more practical that any real heat between them. Sally's character was written with much detail while there was something lacking and vague with Col. He is not your typical hero who is written up front and center, demanding and domineering. I would consider him a minor hero with the focus being much on the heroine as it is her story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Almost a Scandal.