Lindsey's Reviews > In the Shadow of the Volcano: One Ex-Intelligence Official's Journey through Slums, Prisons, and Leper Colonies to the Heart of Latin America

In the Shadow of the Volcano by Maureen Klovers

May 14, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: travel
Read in June, 2012

A young boy was left to die in the hospital waiting room while the doctors watched a fútbol game, a nun was robbed by four men, children are beaten with father's belt for misbehaving, the narrator's students wanted to go on field trip to McDonald's instead of a museum or planetarium, these are the stories that the author shares. These stories are both heart-wrenching and almost inconceivable to me.

The author goes to Ecuador because she wants to understand why someone would cram themselves in the tanker portion of a gas truck to be transported to the United States. Someone being nearly 90% of the country's very poor living in 'shanty towns' as the author says with no electricity, no running water, no address, no ability to read and write.

Though I appreciate all the material things that make my life more comfortable, what I really appreciate after finishing this book is that I live somewhere with a legitimate government, with good roads, and a great education accessible to anyone. I hope someone figures out how to make these things happen in Ecuador because everyone deserves these things.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In the Shadow of the Volcano.