Simcsa's Reviews > Vizcaya

Vizcaya by Lina Rivera

Jun 12, 12

bookshelves: realistic-ya, read-in-english, read-in-2012, annoying-love-triangle
Read from May 14 to June 12, 2012

A month or two ago I was asked to review Vizcaya. I read the synopsis and found it kind of dull, so I opened the pdf I was sent to at least go over the first chapter. A little while later I was on chapter 4, desperate because I had to learn for my school leaving exams and I didn't have any time. Here I could tell you how I was forced to put off Vizcaya for ages, but I don't want you to doze off before I get to the point. Vizcaya is better than the synopsis indicates. Perhaps, it's not the best novel ever written and I had some issues with the story (which you may or may not found adequate), but all in all it's a really good book.

Back to the synopsis. It could have been done better. I'm not saying it isn't accurate, because it is, it just sounds so.. unattractive. Like something what was done numerous times by many different authors. There was nothing to grab my attention and if I hadn't started reading the pdf, I would've never found out how good it is.

Vizcaya isn't action-packed, but it doesn't matter since the plot doesn't build on action. It's about relationships, feelings, family and friends. It's about growing up, about the path of self-discovery on which teenagers figure out who they want to be, what they want to do with their life, who is the real friend and who only pretends to be.. It's about the first love and how it affects you and your decisions.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vizcaya.

06/02/2012 page 50
06/10/2012 page 73
22.0% "There are three main characters in this novel and I don't like two of them. What's that saying?"
06/10/2012 page 109
33.0% "I hate Nelli! Why does she have to have her own POV?"
06/10/2012 page 172
53.0% "I really like it now. :)"
06/11/2012 page 271
83.0% "The last fifty pages are taunting me, but I can't keep my eyes open, even if I loved to."
show 1 hidden update…