Sarah Pascarella's Reviews > Politics: Observations & Arguments, 1966-2004

Politics by Hendrik Hertzberg

1072045
Nov 05, 2008

Read in November, 2008

This was the perfect companion during the madness of Election 2008. Hertzberg's arguments are always well-reasoned, pragmatic, engaging, inspiring, and hopeful. And he's funny to boot. I loved it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Politics.

Quotes Sarah Liked

“Where is it written that if you don't like religion you are somehow disqualified from being a legitimate American? What was Mark Twain, a Russian?”
Hendrik Hertzberg, Politics: Observations and Arguments, 1966-2004

message 1: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Sigh. Must you be such a smarty pants. Can't you read trash like the rest of us. You're making me feel dumb. "I saw her through the gates of the Lincoln Tunnel...."

Sarah Pascarella VELVET LOVE! No, in all seriousness, this was an optimistic (and sanity-preserving) choice. I was about to pick up "What's the Matter With Kansas?" and decided that was pessimistic and that I should go with this instead. Hertzberg has already been a calming presence in the midst of this crazy-ass election.
P.S. I'm going on vacation next month and will bring trash then, promise. ;)

message 3: by Zak (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zak I would love to read your smarty-pants book, Sarah. Do you have a copy I could borrow? Hertzberg is an amazing writer.

Sarah Pascarella Sure--will try to remember to bring it in on Monday.

message 5: by Becky (new)

Becky Pascarella I feel like Jamie, Sa. I am also reading "trash" right now....good trash tho. ;) I am going to buy a copy for Grandma to read. I am sure she will love it also.

Sarah Pascarella Grandma will read through it in a day or two, I bet--I'll be curious to hear her take on it! I found my copy on Half.com for just a few dollars. I bet you can find a similar deal on Half or Alibris. P.S. What are you reading now? Have you updated your GoodReads page yet? What are you waiting for? ;)