Opal's Reviews > Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea

Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea by J.L. Murray

Jun 07, 12

bookshelves: paranormal, urban-fantasy
Read on May 17, 2012

Read my reviews here and on the Akamai Reader!

Niki was all that you could wish for in a strong female protagonist. She had humor, sarcasm in all the right places, and chutzpah. She also showed just the right amount of vulnerability when it counted. I couldn’t help but cheer her on as she was catapulted from one impossible situation to another.

I enjoyed both Bobby and Eli as supporting characters. Bobby for his hulking, almost brotherly presence and Eli for his romantic connection. I appreciated both of them in their own ways as they each had their own charms.

Eli and Niki are old flames and meet again during the course of the investigation. Their encounters are sweet and I thought that Niki showed her vulnerable side well. She manged to appear both tough yet fearful of getting hurt again. All the while I cheered them on.

As you have Niki and Bobby hunting down the denizens of hell through the city, you’re taken on a wild ride. The plot is quick paced but it’s not rushed. There are pauses here and there for it to slowly build back up again. There are also enough twists and turns in the story to keep it from going stale. It was exhilarating and I felt like I was on one fun roller coaster.

I had a ball with Niki and I hope there are many more books to come in this series.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea.