Devyani's Reviews > In Honor

In Honor by Jessi Kirby

May 21, 12

Read from May 14 to 15, 2012

I have no idea why i’m grinning like a pig right now .
the reason being unknown is honestly .....very nauseating .
So i’m warning you guys beforehand . if you see or sense any poop in this review .............then blame it on the possessed me and not the me me .

ROAD TRIPS . BROTHER’S BEST FRIEND ( or in this case brother’s DEAD best friend .) . THE FACT THAT YOU KNOW THAT THE STORY IS ALL ABOUT sacrifice , loss and love AND AS THE SADISTIC HUMANS WHO LOVE TO READ HEARTBREAKING THINGS ABOUT DEVASTATED LOONIES AND JUST LOVE TO CRY ......

We buy the book and Read it .

In Honor takes us to Texas , where we come across Honor in her older brother , Finn’s military funeral who died in Iraq . Mourning is in the air . For Honor , it’s like a huge vortex of nothingness just grew up itself right in the middle of her heart . Finn , being her only family along with her aunt was the light of her life . Without him , it was as if a huge part of her just disappeared . So when Honor sees an envelope addressed to her from Finn who obviously planned all of it a long time ago , hesitates but eventually opens it and reads it . In the letter are hopes and wishes of Finn for Honor along with two concert tickets of Honor’s favourite musician Kyra Kelley’s Last concert .
Interpreting the letter as Finn’s last wish , Honor makes a reckless and adventurous decision and cranks up his beloved car for an epic journey to California with none other than Finn’s best friend since third grade and a perfect example for a cocky , arrogant and usual hotness , Rusty Riggins . Together they take on a roadtrip that will change both their lives in highly unexpected ways .

You’re engrossed in the book right from the first pages of the book and that pretty much gives the book a fantastic start . Further you have those emotions seeping through the pages , essence of roadtrip flowing and LOTS of Rusty-ness oozing until the end with the correct pace and the right punches . I remember reading Moonglass by Ms. Kirby which was her debut novel and i remember criticising her work by pointing out how i needed depth in what she wrote . how i needed to feel what i read . how i wanted those connections between the lines and between the reader and the book to just happen ! how i wanted more to read on so many levels . i think all those ‘wants’ of mine have been amazingly put in and successfully pulled off by Ms. Kirby . this book is everything that wasn’t Moonglass and for that , i applaud her .

Honor’s character was one that you would really feel for .
how do you live when you’ve lost a huge part of your life ? how could anyone ever expect you to ever move on ? what if things were different ? why couldn’t things be different ?
That’s all Honor kept on asking and continued to ask .
She’s off to her dream college when she makes this decision of just hitting the road and fulfilling Finn’s wishes . it’s pretty stupid if you think about it and she agrees to it to . But there’s always this thing that would make you do the weirdest and epicest of things just so you could feel the way you did when the one you lost was alive . and that is exactly what Honor is doing and that emotion hit me hard .
Sibling Love is such a cherished love and is such a beautiful and extraordinary bond that only siblings can feel . the feeling of contentment that you get because you know that the other one’s always got your back . that emotion which will make you rip off any person’s head who even attempts to hurt him or her . You would do anything for your brother or sister . This love is something that is so crazy that as much as they love each other , their hatred is even more nasty . Just try counting the scrapes and scratches and then you’ll know .
This bond comes so fresh in this novel and not many novels pull off such stuff successfully .
i never took the word sacrifice seriously when i read it in the summary . but boy , it just blew me away .
There were these moments that Ms. Kirby created that were just so beautiful . the one with the underwater cave was just marvellous ! brilliant work .
Also i love how things ended . i love how the future holds unknown promises with the hopes of happiness and also how the end is unexpected and has a realistic edge to it .

So now for the things that i didn’t quite ..you know...
Rusty .
it’s funny how i mentioned he was hot before . the thing is i didn’t quite get that ‘oh my this guy’ kind of a feeling . i’m not saying that i’m supposed to feel that way every time but seriously what’s a girl gotta do ?

secondly , i felt the road trip was not that road tripy . it was just okay . i mean , for me , i was just too lost in the emotions . i wanted more of ‘YAY IT’S A FREAKING ROAD TRIP’ and not just ‘oh bloody hell Rusty is so hot or that he’s such a big pain in the bum’ , not blaming the book at all , just my puny little heart 

In Honor by Ms. Kirby is wonderful second novel .
I loved every part of it and also the message that it holds .
i had said earlier that Ms. Kirby’s writing held a lot of potential and aren’t i just so right ? :D
waiting for more to come , until then you guys should definitely give this one a try !
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In Honor.