Darian's Reviews > Dark Entries

Dark Entries by Ian Rankin

May 15, 12

bookshelves: 1-to-3-stars, reviewed
Read from May 14 to 15, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1.33

Never read Rankin or Constantine before (though I did see the movie), so I went into this unburdened with any expectations whatsoever.

It starts off a bit slow, but the pace picks up halfway through and then proceeds to rush past the finish line in a blur. Finished it in 2 sittings, but I thought it warranted a second reading. Not because it was fun, but just to get a better perspective on things. (The second reading did help, a bit, but I gave up the attempt about one third through; might return to it, but it will have to be another time.)

Some parts of the plot seemed questionable, or at least unclear. The thing that bugs me the most is, how did Constantine deduce the truth about the situation he was in? This was not clearly shown in the story, meaning that a good part of the potential satisfaction a reader might get out of this sort of story--spotting the clues, following the trail, etc--was lost.

The twist in the latter half was ludicrous, too ludicrous for some readers perhaps, but I found it fairly amusing; I also enjoyed the clever puns. Dell'edera's black and white art suited the story very well, giving it a stark and pulpy feel.

P.S. On page 116, Constantine says, "When you've eliminated the probable, whatever's left has to be true." --Shouldn't that be "impossible" instead?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Entries.