Aryn's Reviews > The Language of Flowers

The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh

May 29, 12

bookshelves: own, won-in-giveaway, fiction, chick-lit
Read on May 29, 2012

I received this book from Goodreads Giveaways.

After my recent horrendous experience with The Rose Labyrinth, which had me wanting to claw my eyes out after four sentences, it was wonderful to come across a novel with such a graceful writing style that was apparent from the first page.
For eight years I dreamed of fire. Trees ignited as I passed them, oceans burned. The sugary smoke settled in my hair as I slept, the scent like a cloud left on my pillow as I rose. Even so, the moment my mattress started to burn, I bolted awake. The sharp, chemical smell was nothing like the hazy syrup of my dreams; the two were as different as Indian and Carolina jasmine, separation and attachment. They could not be confused.

That being said, I was really torn as to whether this was a three star book or a four star one. In writing style it was a four. I really found myself sucked into it; it only took me 6 hours to read, and that in one sitting. In the plot, it was a three. The first half of the book's story was very good; the second half had sort of a nosedive as it became more and more predictable. In character development, it was a four. Victoria was well written and well explored. She had believable positive and negative quirks in her personality. In love interest, it was a three. Victoria is fickle and nonsensical and acts completely out of character when it comes to love and sex. I'm not sure she really truly loves him (view spoiler) Basically, I was torn.

It was like drinking a soda. I loved, loved, loved the beginning of the novel. It was fizzy and exciting and interesting (even though I've read a lot like it). Then somewhere is started to fall flat. The predictability stopped being endearing and the characters became more obnoxious.
45 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Language of Flowers.

Vicki Very nice review. Mirrors my thoughts even down to my rating determination. Thank you for articulating it so well.

Meghan I agree with Vicki, I was in between 3 and 4 stars as well, but wasn't able to state why as clearly as you were, Aryn.

Pamela Snowe Totally agree with this review.

Martha I understand Victoria's inability to love or to allow herself to love. I thought the author told her story so well that Victoria's inner conflict and complete lack of experience with any nurturance explained her inability to recognize love when it was offered. As she experienced the beauty of family and friends, though it took many experiences, her mind and heart slowly began to unfold like the tight buds in a greenhouse.

message 5: by Carol (new) - added it

Carol Burdett Still debating whether to read or not. Your review is excellent. I'll decide soon!