Tracy's Reviews > Rose in Bloom

Rose in Bloom by Louisa May Alcott

May 14, 2012

bookshelves: young-adult
Read in May, 2012

I first read this sequel to Eight Cousins when I was 12 years old. I didn't realize it at the time, but it was my first romance novel. Rose is 20 now, and has just returned from a 2-year trip abroad with Uncle Alec and her friend Phebe. All the boys, save Jamie, are grown men now, and Rose feels awkward when she realizes the aunts expect her to marry one of her cousins. (Ick, but I guess this was OK among the wealthy Victorians, to keep the fortune in the family.)

I adored and admired Rose when I was a child. She allowed herself to sample the frivolity of society, but decided it wasn't for her. She tried to read a trashy novel but was too ashamed of herself to continue. She thought about buying herself haute couture in Paris, but decided she would rather maintain Uncle Alec's high regard. She nearly buys herself some silk fabric for a new gown, but spends the money on a hungry women instead. Etc etc etc. There is no end to Rose's goodness. As a child, I thought she was great, and I still do, but now as an adult I'm thinking "Read the damn book, Rose, it's okay to have fun!" and "Come back tomorrow with more money--you have plenty of it--and buy yourself the silk!"

SPOILER ALERT:
I was completely in love with the charming Charlie when I was 12 years old. He was so dashing, and he so handsomely wooed Rose. I was devastated by the turn his story took. I wept over that poor young man. Now as an adult I am annoyed that Alcott had him die before Rose could decide if she would love him or not. My adult self can see that he is not right for Rose and that her life with him would have been unhappy, but I would prefer Rose make that realization with him alive.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rose in Bloom.

04/26 marked as: read

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 2: by Tricia (new)

Tricia That cover image makes it look like a book from the 60s or 70s!

Tracy Somehow I never saw your comment until now. This is the copy I read as a kid, and it was a 1970s era edition! I remember asking my dad to take me to the book store so I could buy it.