Natalie Walsh's Reviews > Glow

Glow by Amy Kathleen Ryan

May 14, 12

Glow is set far into the future when Earth has become uninhabitable and there are two spaceships set on course 'New Earth'. There are two ships, the religious New Horizon and the secular Empyrean. On board the Empyrean is Waverly and her boyfriend Kieran. They are in love and are on course to be married, when the New Horizon makes contact with them, and bad events unfold. Waverly and Kieran become separated as Waverly is sent to the New Horizon, whilst Kieran has to stay on the Empyrean. It is down to them to reunite everyone and find their way home.

In my opinion, this book markets itself wrong. On the cover it says "Her heart will decide the future", which implies this is a love story, which is only partly true. Yes, it is the story of Waverly and Kieran and their relationship, but it is mainly the story of Waverly trying to overthrow the sinister regime of the New Horizon, and Kieran struggling to maintain his new Captaincy onboard the Empyrean. For most of the book, they are separated! 'Glow' is the first book in the 'Skychasers' series, so I don't know if it will develop into more of a love story, but I've read 'Glow' and I don't see it as a love story. It is very good though, and I recommend it to lovers of Science Fiction/Fantasy books and young adult fiction.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Glow.