Shane Prevosto's Reviews > Esperanza Rising

Publisher: Bryant cooperation
Pages: 253
Chapter Book
Developmental age: 3rd-4th grade
Themes: Family, loss, death, working hard, appreciating what you have

Synopsis:Esperanza Rising is about a girl named Esperanza who has to move from her home in Mexico to California, after her father is killed and her house is burned down. In California, Esperanza and her mother find they have to work hard even though they were once rich and had servants waiting on them. Esperanza finds out by the end of the book that even though she is poor, she has her loved ones and is rich in happiness and love.

Personal response: I really liked reading Esperanza Rising, it was very depressing with Esperanza's father dying, her uncle forcing her mother to marry him and then moving to California after losing everything in a fire. I do not know how she and her mother were so strong, even when they had nothing after being rich. The story has a good message about never giving up. The main point of the story is a person does not have to have a lot of money or materialistic things to be rich, if they have their loved ones all the necessary items, such as food, shelter water, they can be rich in happiness and love. Children should read this to learn they do not need material objects to be happy.

When I was reading this book I thought about when I was in seventh grade and my parents moved me from a small Catholic school near the city to a big public school in the county. I remember I was scared, angry and depressed to leave my friends and go to a school where I only know one other person. I only moved 40 minutes away, Esperanza moved to a whole new country where she did not know a single person or the language they spoke. Esperanza is motivating to anyone who reads this story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Esperanza Rising.