Stacy's Reviews > Throne of Glass

Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

May 28, 2012

bookshelves: favorites
Read in May, 2012

This is a great book!!!! It not only has the right amount of world building, romance, friendship and action, but it also boasts a female heroine that is smart, strong and super fierce.

Celaena Sardothien
This is the type of female lead I like. She is an independent, intelligent survivor and a powerful fighter who knows how to wield a weapon. The girl is lethal. She also likes to eat and wear dresses on occasion. What’s not to love? Plus, she knows how to flirt, when to hold her tongue and when to throw caution to the wind and do the right thing. She’s like Katniss on steroids.

World building/Plot
The world created is simple, yet complex enough to hold mystery and intrigue. The descriptions never bog down the story so it gives the reader a sense of familiarity without the mundane.

The plot is a page-turner, and will keep you up late in the night or (like me) putting off your household chores. Who’s killing the champions? Who’s really the bad guy? Is there magic at work? There are lots of questions, and thankfully the end of the book answers most. However, since this is the first book in a series you can see the plot lines forming for the next installment.

Choal vs Dorian
Choal, sigh. He is the Captain of the Guard who is loyal, honest and trustworthy. He’s one of the “good guys” who seems to always get lost in the crowd, overlooked. Maas does an excellent job creating his depth, by showing us his greatness and not telling us of his greatness and more importantly showing us his struggles to trust Celanena and seeing his kingdom in a new light. Can you tell I am a Choal fan through and through? Go CHOAL!!

Ah, Dorian. He is the epitome of a playboy Crown Prince. He’s stunningly handsome and a smooth operator. When I think of him I think of the saying, “…a lover, not a fighter.” Though, I will admit that I don’t think that is a very fair statement. Towards the end of the book, he stands up to his father and finally realizes that maybe he wants to be a different type of king than his father.

Action,
Over the years I have come to enjoy good actions scenes and this book does not disappoint. This book is chock full of swordplay, hand to hand combat, intense running that causes purging and much more. I totally read some of the scenes in the slow motion Matrix style.

One complaint: Chocolate covered gummies. Really? I just don’t get it.

This book is a must read!!
4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Throne of Glass.

Rose I knew you'd like it...I still haven't read it, just a few pages. Even with that I knew it was going to be a good book.

Stacy Read it NOW!!!! lol