Jeanette "Astute Crabbist"'s Reviews > New and Selected Poems, Vol. 1

May 15, 12

bookshelves: earth-friendly, nature-outdoors, wildlife-and-birds
Recommended to Jeanette by: Anne Lamott
Read in June, 2012

Yesterday I gorged on my first feast of Mary Oliver's work, racing through three of her short books all in a day. I've started this one with determination to go a bit more slowly, but as I page through what is here, all I can think is oh, oh, oh, oh, oh! More, more, more, more, more!

June 20
I've finally finished. I took my time with this one, as it covers poetry from many stages of her life, going back to the 1960s. It's hard to assign a rating, but I can recommend it without reservation.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read New and Selected Poems, Vol. 1.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Erika (new)

Erika Love her poetry :) Enjoy!

message 2: by Jeanette (new) - added it

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist" Picking it up today. :-) Looking forward.

Heather Mize this one is great too. I loaned it to my Mom a year ago and I've yet to get it back. ;)

message 4: by Jeanette (new) - added it

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist" I wouldn't give it back either, Heather. :-)

message 5: by Linty (new)

Linty Yes! I am with you on mary oliver. The oh's and more! She writes poems that move and touch me deeply.

message 6: by Judy (new)

Judy So, you know Anne Lamott? LOL!

message 7: by Jeanette (last edited May 16, 2012 11:26AM) (new) - added it

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist" Linty, I had a feeling you'd like her, as a fellow nature lover. She seems to have the connection we aim for after reading Kinship With All Life, which you and I "bonded" over. :-)

Judy, If you listen to Lamott on audio, you could almost feel like you know her. She seems very warm and approachable. She mentioned Mary Oliver in Word by Word, so of course I had to find out why.

message 8: by Linty (new)

Linty Yes, I remember that;)

She writes about simple things but yet she has so much depth and emotion about those simple things/nature, etc.

One of my fave poems by anyone is by her. It's called, "When death comes." So beautiful.

message 9: by Jeanette (new) - added it

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist" Oooh, spooky quink-a-dink! I just read When Death Comes last night.

message 10: by Caroline (new)

Caroline You are so lucky to be having an Oliver fest. I ferreted around at the library yesterday but couldn't find the one book of hers we are supposed to have there. I am really looking forward to getting stuck in.

message 11: by Linty (new)

Linty Yes, indeed it is!

"When it's over, I want to say: all my life
I was a bride married to amazement,
I was the bridegroom, taking the world into my arms.

When it is over, I don't want to wonder
if I have made of my life something particular and real.

I don't want to find myself sighing and frightened,
or full of argument.

I don't want to end up simply having visited this world."

message 12: by Jeanette (new) - added it

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist" "I was a bride married to amazement,"

This was the line that nailed me.

message 13: by Linty (new)

Linty Yes. That was the line I was going for with my copy & paste. Then I noticed that I had half the poem copied. My skills on the pc need some work. hehe...

message 14: by Jeanette (new) - added it

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist" :-) That's okay. You've given people a little taste of her work, even if by accident.

message 15: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura Her stuff is drop-dead-gorgeous, for sure.

message 16: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura Yes, that line is fantastic. I could marry her work.

Heather Mize Agree Laura!

message 18: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura Thanks Heather! Also - terrific review Jeanette! "gorged on my first feast" was the clincher. :)

message 19: by Jeanette (new) - added it

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist" Thanks, Laura. I really did gorge on it that first day. I think I blew through three of her short books in a day.

Julie Where has this poet been all my life? She is extraordinary, Jeanette. I'm so moved. Thank you for opening my eyes and heart to Mary Oliver.

message 21: by Jeanette (new) - added it

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist" Apparently we were the only ones in the dark, Julie. Seems all our friends knew of her and were keeping it a secret. ;-) I'm so glad you're discovering her along with me.