Natalie Wright's Reviews > Veiled Virtues

Veiled Virtues by Jan Fischer Wade

May 21, 12

bookshelves: ya, magical
Read from May 14 to 20, 2012, read count: 1

Veiled Virtues is a fun romp of a read. The premise/set-up is that the MC goes to England to house-sit right after her high school graduation and soon finds herself "haunted" by something in the house she's sitting. She also soon finds herself falling in love with a modern-day knight.
The set-up is interesting and different. I don't think I've read anything else quite like it - a modern order of knights, protecting against evil. Paige, the main character, was likeable enough and the action kept me engaged and turning pages. You just have to find out what happens!
My only complaint is that the love interest, Nathaniel, is just too perfect. I had a hard time believing his actions and words. I know he's British, but even British guys aren't that perfect and romantic! (Or maybe they are and I'm living in the wrong country!)
But this complaint did not detract from my compulsion to keep reading. I also enjoyed the aspect of the book that deals with Paige's relationship with her mother and I think the author captured what it is often like for mothers/daughters when the child hits that age. And I enjoyed that while the set up is that Nathaniel is Paige's "knight," Paige isn't a helpless, locked-in-a-tower maiden. This adds to the complexity of the relationship.
I definitely want to read the next book and find out what happens with Paige and Nathaniel (nice use of an Epilogue in this book).
If you enjoy YA/YA Romance, definitely check this book out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Veiled Virtues.