Nicola's Reviews > What's the Matter with Kansas? How Conservatives Won the Heart of America

What's the Matter with Kansas? How Conservatives Won the Hear... by Thomas Frank

May 14, 12

bookshelves: politics, non-fiction, gift

I thought this book might be a bit of a gimme for a Daily Show liberal such as myself. Blah blah blah blue-collar folks who vote Republican because they think they’ll win the lottery soon blah blah. In fact, I found it much more revelatory. It really does a fantastic job of unpicking the central question: why does middle America vote against its own economic interests?

The answer is multi-layered, but basically the answer is that the Republicans have succeeded in separating economics from class. So it’s now possible to be a Ivy League grad from a family of billionaires and still be ‘working-class’ – thus appealing to blue-collar voters on their level.

Thomas Frank’s adjacent comments on how what we think of as left-of-centre political correctness actually pays a debt to bland corporate nicety particularly succeeded in hitting me between the eyes. And I actually understand why people (people who aren’t mentally ill) read Ann Coulter now!

My only criticism of the book (and the reason I’ve docked it a star) is that, though well-written, its structure is a bit waffle-y. I suspect Frank did a Frankenstein job in places and sewed together bits and pieces of articles he’d written previously. A shame, but not something that should put you off reading this book.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What's the Matter with Kansas? How Conservatives Won the Heart of America.