Nina (The Bookish Confections)'s Reviews > Chinese Cinderella: The True Story of an Unwanted Daughter

Chinese Cinderella by Adeline Yen Mah

May 14, 2012

bookshelves: owned, real-life, made-me-cry, reviewed, owned-read, depressing
Read in May, 2012

I always make it to a point to read a nonfiction book. After a long time, I decided to read this one. I'm definitely happy that I read this.

I won't argue with the story. It seems pretty stupid for me to put up a fight with that. This is a memoir so against my better judgment, I will never argue with a nonfiction's story. Why? Because it happened. It's true. So I can't compete with those events/experiences right? After all, I pretty much enjoyed reading Adeline's experiences even if most of them are unfortunate.

Also, I loved Adeline's writing. It made me feel her. It's like, the story is written out of her emotions not out of words (if that is even possible)! Maybe I'm saying that because I know this is a true story. But no really, her writing is really good for me. It is like a diary so it's not hard for me to feel it. It's written in a really personal way.

Even though it centers around Adeline's life, I also get to know a few things about the World War and the Chinese culture. Seems pretty educational right?

All in all, this memoir is really a great one. I mean, it's gonna make you think how fortunate you are for having your parents, friends and family. Or maybe not. But seriously, it's gonna make you be thankful for living a life. This is pretty inspiring, you know.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chinese Cinderella.