Lynne Young's Reviews > The Dressmaker

The Dressmaker by Kate Alcott

May 14, 12

Read in May, 2012

I was pleasantly surprised by this book. I had assumed it was a book about a dressmaker travelling on the Titanic. While that was true it was not the complete focus of this book.Tess Collins, an aspiring fashion designer, finds herself unexpectedly travelling on the Titanic as a maid to Lady Lucile Duff Gordon. While able to enjoy the perks of first class Tess meets 2 gentlemen who will play a major part in her life, both on and off the ship.

Much of the book is written after the sinking and the events that surrounded just exactly what happened on Lifeboat number one. While Tess was not on that lifeboat her employer was and it becomes apparent during the book that Tess is getting caught in the middle of something she had no knowledge of. Or did she?

The struggle and quest for the truth of just exactly what happened make this a compelling page turner. I found myself rooting for Tess the whole way and hoping someone would knock Lady Lucile off her high horse. Can money buy your way out of everything? It is well worth reading this book to find out. You will not be disappointed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dressmaker.