Kimberly French's Reviews > Big Girls Don't Cry: The Election that Changed Everything for American Women

Big Girls Don't Cry by Rebecca Traister

F 50x66
May 14, 2012

Big Girls Don’t Cry is a nonfiction analysis of the women of the 2008 election (H Clinton, S Palin, M Obama, E Edwards), gender roles, the clash of race and gender, and the divide between older feminists and a new generation of women. Rebecca Traister did a masterful job, both analysis and reporting, opening my eyes in many ways, and also putting into words very eloquently some of what I felt passionately but often felt I got shouted down by Obama supporters. Great insight into the divide between feminists who came of age in the 1970s and younger women. She also openly discusses her own personal evolution on the campaign trail from Edwards to Clinton, which was not typical of her age group; also unusual for journalist/columnist to talk so candidly. I had read Game Change, which also covers some of the same ground, by two male reporters. Elizabeth Edwards especially comes off looking very bad in that book; Traister is also disillusioned by both Edwardses but much more sympathetic to E. Both books also cover Sarah Palin, tho’ I’d say Game Change humanized Palin for me most. I found Big Girls a thrilling read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Big Girls Don't Cry.