Chrissa's Reviews > After the Golden Age

After the Golden Age by Carrie Vaughn

May 14, 12

Not very long after starting the story, I realized that I wasn't going to put the book down until it was finished. Briefly, this is the story of Celia West, daughter of two famous heroes (although their fame seems restricted to a single major city) who is herself without superpowers. As she fights her resentments and grows into herself, she is forced to face public opprobrium and public adulation and recalibrate her understanding of heroism.

Celia's narration was an interesting look at the self-control that allows her to live in a city in which she may at any moment be kidnapped by people who are trying to get to her parents. While Celia is certain of her parents' reactions, she resents the role of eternal bait that she's forced to play. She is the vox populi of the idea that equates heroes with "primary colors" and separates them from the drab mass of everyone else. Although Celia doesn't venerate her parents, as the story begins, she doesn't trust them as her family, either. For me, the gradual shift in Celia's perspective made sense.

Coming to this from the perspective of someone who has friends and family members who are very much into superheroes, but who doesn't enjoy them in their original comics as much myself, I thought this book hit the sweet spot of a superhero story with a relatable perspective, a strongly-voiced protagonist and well-paced action.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read After the Golden Age.