Tammy O's Reviews > The Voice I Just Heard

The Voice I Just Heard by Susan Dormady Eisenberg

May 24, 12

bookshelves: first-reads
Read from May 21 to 24, 2012

"Susan Dormady Eisenberg is a Maryland writer who reveres Broadway musicals and opera with equal passion. A trained soprano, she can "hear" the talent and technique in the singers she portrays in her first novel, 'The Voice I Just Heard.'"

This is a wonderful book about music, love, grief, healing, historical landmarks and life. Susan Dormady's musical background, knowledge and training are woven into the details of this story so well. I was fascinated. Then there is the setting which "introduces readers to Cohoes, NY--the historic mill town whose industrial heyday ended with the great depression." In the Author's Notes at the end, we learn that she lived in Cohoes during the late Fifties and early Sixties. I loved the way she shared the history and descriptions of the town in this story.

I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads, and I'm so glad! I had trouble putting it down after the first 100 pages. I was curious to see what Nora would do with her singing talent, and the puzzles regarding Nora's brother and their family history kept me wondering what Nora would learn next.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Voice I Just Heard.