Michelle's Reviews > Heaven Is Here: An Incredible Story of Hope, Triumph, and Everyday Joy

Heaven Is Here by Stephanie Nielson

1987388
May 18, 12

Read in May, 2012

I admire Stephanie Nielson in many ways. She was the victim of a horrible accident and has created a new life for herself and her family. She overcame much to regain some of her life. Sadly, I wanted to like this book more than I did. I felt she was so young and immature--just another stereotypical girl who thinks the answers are all marriage and babies when she is too young to realize the maturity it takes to be a good wife and mom. Yet she seemed to handle motherhood okay, other than some immaturity. When she started blogging, I understood how hard it is to be a young mother. It seemed she neglected her family for online relationships--a temptation many succumb to. She was very open about the difficulties in being newly married, young, and sick during pregnancy and even opened herself up to the difficulties in her recovery. That took real courage. Yet I think she seemed to be more about her and less about her husband--he seemed to make more sacrifices and display more maturity than she did--even after the accident. I know she mentions that she realized it was hard for him, but I didn't hear her really admit she wasn't always fair. However, when I am in a lot of pain, I don't always handle it well, so I tried to understand instead of judge her. Yet, I wanted to scream at her when she ran to her mom and dad and cut her husband out of decisions for her care and out of her room. I felt frustrated when she didn't want to talk to a psychologist--she certainly needed one! She was so much about herself and how she looked and what she could accomplish that she seemed to care little for the needs of her kids and husband. She even had to live by her family, not his. Understandable, but I still wished for more acknowledgement that her husband gave a lot up for her. Even at the end of the book, she expressed thanks for her family and not his. She just struck me as very young and somewhat the spoiled younger child. I'm glad their marriage survived.

That said, there were some wonderful moments. I rejoiced with her when she at last decided to start getting better--it kept me reading. I'm glad she finally decided to fight for herself and try to have a relationship with her children again. I really can't judge her. I'm sure it was a very difficult experience and I don't know how I would handle such an incredible and difficult experience. I'm glad she is achieving her dreams. It took real courage for her to open up and write this book. I so admire that kind of bravery. She is a person to be admired, even if she isn't perfect.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heaven Is Here.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Darla I also thought that her husband was absolutely amazing and wished that we heard more about his thoughts and feelings during the journey. Too bad they didn't include some chapters from his viewpoint. They also didn't give us any follow up on the actual accident and what caused it, which made me wonder.

Michelle Darla wrote: "I also thought that her husband was absolutely amazing and wished that we heard more about his thoughts and feelings during the journey. Too bad they didn't include some chapters from his viewpoint..."

I totally agree that the book would have been better with all that. I, too, really wanted the husband's opinion. And a cause for the crash. I'm glad I read it, but, like you said, I wanted more.