Kelli's Reviews > Being Friends with Boys

Being Friends with Boys by Terra Elan McVoy

May 20, 2012

bookshelves: fluent-in-sarcasm, unrequited-best-friend-love
Read from May 14 to 20, 2012

A really nice young adult contemporary, with interesting characters and a fresh take on a plot (not to mention characters) I was afraid was going to be cliched. I see a lot of reviews complaining about how frustrating and clueless Charlotte could be, and while I totally get that, I think her character was done exactly right, without going too much to one extreme or another (i.e. not so annoying you want to pull her out of the book and bludgeon her over the head with it, but also not so Mary Sue Perfect In Every Way that you want to pull her out of the book and vomit all over her). If you ever once were/currently are/have hung out with/parented (etc, etc) a teenage girl, then you know what a mess they can be.

Not to generalize or say there aren't exceptions, but for the most part girls at that age have absolutely NO IDEA who they are or what they want (I know I certainly didn't--I was a HOT MESS) even when it's obvious to everyone else (I'm sure your best friend would tell you what's what in your life and be completely right, all the while having no idea what to do with her own dysfunction, and vice versa). It's rare that anyone immediately knows exactly what's best for them and then does everything they need to attain it. If so, this would be one boring story that would only last like one chapter. Being a mess at Charlotte's age is actually a good thing, I think. That's the time when you should be making mistakes and figuring it all out, when you're probably going to get more things wrong than right. And that's ok, if you learn from those mistakes, take responsibility for them and try not to make those same mistakes over and over again. Charlotte messed up a lot, but eventually she figured it out and owned up to her mistakes. And it was all done in a way--at least to me--that was realistic, yet utterly entertaining. I really liked Charlotte AND all her messiness. I think Terra Elan McVoy did an excellent job of making this story and character her own, yet it/she was still something/someone so very relatable.

Plus, this book was filled with adorable band guys, playing guitars, and synths. And singing. And doing adorable things like writing back and forth in notebooks with the main character. I will admit without shame that I have a weakness for those kinds of things. It was not difficult for me to like all the "band boys". BUT, my absolute favorite male character wasn't a musician. And that's rare for me in a book filled with cute guys playing instruments. For me, that's another testament to the author. Benji totally snuck up on me and stole my heart. So much so, I honestly wanted to read more of his story after this one ended. I was ok leaving the other characters where they were, felt like their stories were told, with the exception of Benji. Is it just me, or did anyone else feel this way?

All in all, I really enjoyed this book. It's the first I've read by this author, and I'm definitely going to check out her other work.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Being Friends with Boys.

05/14/2012 page 40