Pamela Detlor's Reviews > The Taliban Cricket Club

The Taliban Cricket Club by Timeri N. Murari

Jun 13, 12

Recommended for: all adults
Read from June 05 to 13, 2012, read count: 1

The Taliban Cricket Club is a moving story of family, friendship, honor, and courage in the face of the horrors of war.

In a world where women are no longer permitted to have rights and freedoms, Rukhsana continues to risk her life by writing stories about the cruelty of the Taliban. She along with other journalists, are summoned to appear before the “Ministry for the Propagation of Virtue and Prevention of Vice.” They stand in line, expecting to meet their end in front of a firing squad; but are spared after being informed that they will write what they are told to write in order to remain among the living. Rukhsana is violently reminded that if she is caught writing anything it will bring her death.

The journalists are informed that the Taliban (which banned sports of all kinds) intends to hold a cricket tournament and become part of the world cricket organization, creating an air of respectability and sportsmanship to their regime. The winners will be flown from Kabul to Afghanistan to train and compete. Rukhsana sees this farce as an opportunity to get her brother and her male cousins out of Kabul to a place where they can escape to freedom more easily. She uses her cricket experience from university (and the days where women had rights) to secretly train her team to win; while also planning her own escape from the hell they live in under Taliban rule.

Murari’s story grabbed my attention immediately. The heartlessness and brutality of war is present throughout the book, as are lighthearted and moving moments. The writing is fast paced. The characters are well written. It was a difficult book to set aside. I found myself drawn into the story and wanting to know the outcome: wanting fellowship to defeat tyranny. The Taliban Cricket Club was a fantastic read! It’s not the sort of book I would have gravitated to, but I’m glad it landed in my hands. I highly recommend this one!

Special thanks to HarperCollins Canada and goodreads, for an advance reader’s copy!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Taliban Cricket Club.

06/05/2012 page 18