Stephanie's Reviews > Children of Dreams

May 30, 12

it was ok
bookshelves: adult-nonfiction
Read from May 14 to 30, 2012

This is one of those books I wanted to like so much more than I actually did. I just didn't care for the author.

First the good. It is very well-written. She is very passionate about adoption. Roberts is also very open with sharing her story. I definitely learned a lot about international adoption and what comes with it.

That said I found the author almost unlikable. Instantly the reader is subjected to her lack of cultural insensitivity. I understood the shock at the lack of toilet paper. However, an adult should be able to move past it much more quickly than she seemed to be able.

The straw that broke the camel's back came fairly early. She has just adopted her first daughter, and one of the first things she does is remove her nose and ear piercings WHILE HER DAUGHTER SLEEPS. She says just sentences later her daughter didn't nap again. Why does she do it? Because they aren't Christian or American symbols. My heart broke for that little girl. Here she is with a stranger with whom she needs to bond and that woman is more concerned with her new daughter's appearance. Instead of worrying about making her a Christian she is wrapped up in superficial symbols.

I found the author whiny through the book. I almost feel badly typing that, but I always felt she was so worried with appearing a good Christian more so than being one.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Children of Dreams.

05/15/2012

Wesley We have two adopted children(US) and lived through a failed adoption at six months. I found the book a quick read, but have struggled with how I felt about it. I was very engaged in much of the story, but so much bothered me. Thank you for writing what I was thinkging.

Rebecca I so agree with your thoughts on this book. I also wanted to like this book but was turned off by what seems to me as very insensitive actions throughout. It gave me the impression of a very spoiled, self-centered person.