Corey's Reviews > The Secret History

The Secret History by Donna Tartt

Jun 12, 2012

bookshelves: audiobooks
Read from May 14 to June 12, 2012

Despite the nondescript title which tells you absolutely nothing about this story, The Secret History is actually quite a good dark murder mystery which takes place on a New England small-town college campus. The perpetrators are not townies, as you would expect, but a gang of elitist, evil, preppy students who study ancient Greek. Like The Sister by Poppy Adams, I never would have discovered this book were it not for Goodreads, and I would not have been particularly drawn to read it on the basis of its boring title.

The book was very well-written and I enjoyed listening to Donna Tartt’s New Jersey-inflected southern accent, breaking her teeth on ancient Greek and French… pretty good comedic value! Normally, my threshold of patience for reading about pretension is pretty low, but in this case I didn’t feel like Tartt was venerating the pretension, but rather pointing out its hypocrisy and depicting it very darkly overall, so somehow it didn’t bother me.

I listened to this as a three part audiobook, where each part was about 8 hours long. I accidentally listened to the last part first, and didn’t realize it for the entire 8 hours. It says a lot about how much I enjoyed the book, that, although I already knew how it ended, I still went back and listened to the entire book again – in its correct order.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secret History.

05/14/2012 page 78