Danielle's Reviews > Garlic and Sapphires: The Secret Life of a Critic in Disguise

Garlic and Sapphires by Ruth Reichl

Sep 25, 08

bookshelves: non-fiction
Read in September, 2008

My reaction to this book is kind of hard to describe. I liked it, but I'm not sure why I liked it. The writing was good, but not amazing, or especially compelling. The author came across as a bit of a snob (not just about food, but in general), and I didn't relate to her very well. The whole "disguise" theme, which was pretty much the focus of the book, was never very well developed and not nearly as interesting as it promised to be. And, while I do like food (and at one point in my life actually aspired to be a food critic), the types of food she reviewed in this book are so out of my realm of experience as to be utterly meaningless. And yet, as I said, I liked this book.
So, who knows? Maybe you'll like it. I actually found myself wanting to read this book over my other "currently-reading"s, even though I found more than one opportunity to be mildly annoyed at it. Not the most stellar recommendation, I know. I guess to summarize I'd say that reading this book wouldn't be a waste of time, and there's a good chance you'd enjoy it.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Garlic and Sapphires.