Karen Tyrrell's Reviews > Me and Her: a Memoir Of Madness

Me and Her by Karen Tyrrell

Mar 03, 13

(Review from the author)
bookshelves: favorites, memoir, mental-health, psychology, bipolar-disorder, inspirational, mania, mental-illness, manic-depression, recovery, wellness, fast-paced-narrative, self-help, health
Recommended for: Readers of memoir, Teachers, Readers of thrillers, counselors, Those who know someone with Bipolar
Read in March, 2013 — I own a copy

"Brisbane teacher who cared too much - ended up in psychiatric facility. Serves as a warning to all of us. Make a great movie! Very well edited - well done!"- Spencer Howson: ABC 612 Radio, 2012. "I was totally hooked. This is one of the strongest hooks I’ve ever read - it was instant. I know this is real; I know this is your pain and your anguish ─ but my goodness, congratulations on your bravery." ─ Kaz Delaney, author of Dead, Actually - Allen & Unwin, 2012
A teacher is repeatedly harassed by parents at her school to breaking point and beyond. In a fit of desperation, she escapes and runs. Police and medical professionals discover her hiding in a lonely motel, forcing her into the frightening world of the psychiatric system.
The reader is taken back to the classroom, discovering how the harassment affected Karen as we journey through her gradual decline and disintegration leading to her incarceration. Later Karen performs an ‘experiment’, purposefully stressing over a disturbed student, keeping herself awake at night – all in order to kick-start the creative ideas she craves.
ME AND HER: a Memoir of Madness uncovers Karen’s unforeseen relationship with her psychologist, her pitch-black manic dreams and her two personas. ME ─ wife, mother, writer and teacher. HER ─ manic, psychic, healer to the living, telepathic to the dead, and she’s very psychotic.
Why did she become so crazy?
How did she claw her way back from Insanity?
‘I am impressed at how Karen has turned a dismal situation into a healing tool for others. Not only teachers will relate to her long-awaited book, but all who have experienced life’s ups and downs.’
─ Dawn Alice, author of LOVE LIFE TAROT

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Me and Her.

Quotes Karen Liked

Karen Tyrrell
“In 2005, my mad half, HER was born...
ME & HER: a Memoir of Madness, 2012.”
Karen Tyrrell, Me and Her: a Memoir Of Madness
tags: memoir

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Karen Tyrrell Thanks to everyone who'd liked my review of Me and Her:)

Anne A brilliant read!!
Me and Her captivated me totally and I was immediately immersed into Karen Tyrrell's tormented world.
The scary part is that it is all real!!
I really admire Karen's gutsy writing style and look forward to reading her other books when they are released.

Karen Tyrrell Anne wrote: "A brilliant read!!
The scary part is that it is all real!!
I really admire Karen's gutsy writin..."

Karen Tyrrell Hi Anne,
Thanks so much for your review. Could you please repost it as a Review under your name and my book title?
Here's the link.
Please click on my book cover icon.
Much appreciated ... Karen :)

message 4: by Mary (new) - added it

Mary Metcalfe As someone who has close friends living with bipolar disorder, I can completely relate to Karen's journey. I found her writing vivid and sharp; her early disconnect with herself was heartbreaking. Karen has a strong voice. Her memoir is a definite "must read" for me as a long-time advocate about mental health issues. Go Karen!

Karen Tyrrell Thanks Mary,
for your awesome recommendation and support for ME & HER: a Memoir Of Madness.
Thanks for reading the opening pages, FREE on Amazon.
I look forward to reading your Review after you've read ME & HER.
Cheers,
Karen
Mary wrote: "As someone who has close friends living with bipolar disorder, I can completely relate to Karen's journey. I found her writing vivid and sharp; her early disconnect with herself was heartbreaking. ..."

message 6: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Ranta "very touching and thought provoking..also inspiring. .. You understand my profound interest and this book was truly outstanding. I was so pleased to be part of journey, before actually getting it published. You touched me deeply.. Much love, Brenda Lee Ranta"

message 7: by Mary (new) - added it

Mary Metcalfe Brenda wrote: ""very touching and thought provoking..also inspiring. .. You understand my profound interest and this book was truly outstanding. I was so pleased to be part of journey, before actually getting it ..."

Thank you Brenda. Karen is truly inspiring!

message 8: by Ani (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ani A commendable effort revealing your personal and professional struggles and how you suffered and now surviving in a positive and loving way. I love your writing style which is so descriptive, honest, brave and inspiring, a great therapeutic intervention for anyone who is suffering and struggling with their own mental health. It is all about the story and the hope and resilience that comes through to the people who need it makes a huge difference to their mindset and recovery. Blessings to you for continued success with this book and your future writing career.

message 9: by Karen (last edited Dec 16, 2012 02:44AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Karen Tyrrell Thanks Ani very much for your extremely supportive Review of ME & HER: a Memoir Of Madness.
... Karen :)

Kerrie I found this book a compelling read on several levels.
At times I wanted to yell...."No Karen, don't do it"......It's impossible to read this story without having protective feeling toward the heroine. The fact that it is a true story makes it even more amazing

message 11: by Maia (new) - rated it 5 stars

Maia Mcdowell I loved this book. I was hooked from the start and read the whole book in just three sittings. This book will give you an insight into the mind of someone with bipolar and how it affects their loved ones. If you have a mental illness, or care for someone who does, this book offers hope. I am eagerly awaiting Karen's next book "Me & Him"

message 12: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Donaldson What a great read Karen, and an amazing follow up to your first book. Some wonderful mental health tips for everyone and also so many more amazing details of what you and Steve have been through. You two have traveled a tough path and come out the other end together. Wishing you both continued health and happiness.
Margaret.

Linda Katz I was touched from my heart with reading your book. I also wrote a book on my struggles and challenges I faced while having bipolar disorder. Except for Kevin Steele's book, The Day the Voices Stopped, your book speaks from the heart like mine does. Check out my book, Surviving Mental Illness, My Story. It is on Amazon. When I finish I will give another review.

Karen Tyrrell Hi Linda,
Thanks so much for reading Me and Her:A Memoir Of Madness. Look forward to your review when you've finished reading ... Take care, Karen :)
PS Did you know I wrote a sequel from the CARERS Pov, Me and Him: A Guide to Recovery

Linda Katz Linda wrote: "I was touched from my heart with reading your book. I also wrote a book on my struggles and challenges I faced while having bipolar disorder. Except for Kevin Steele's book, The Day the Voices Stop..."

Your welcome. I will give a review when I am done reading. Also I bought your other book, Me and Him: A Guide to Recovery.

Karen Tyrrell Double thanks for buying BOTH my mental health books.

Announcing my NEXT book today

Karen x

Linda Katz Linda wrote: "Linda wrote: "I was touched from my heart with reading your book. I also wrote a book on my struggles and challenges I faced while having bipolar disorder. Except for Kevin Steele's book, The Day t..."

I have also started to write a children's book on mental illness, but I find it hard. Sometimes instead of using the word mental I have to use the words head or mind something children would understand. I have never been a teacher and have no children. But I think its worth doing. It is about a man and a woman who like each other but both have mental health problems. The man has a dog named Pit and the woman has a daughter named Nancy. In the book I am writing it shows the symptoms of their illness and how they got better. However, I don't know if I want a traditional publisher or self-publisher. I would like to hear your opinion.
Thanks.

Karen Tyrrell Good luck Linda,
I did so much research for my picture book. Read lots of books to children to see what they enjoyed. Picture books have only 500 words or less but are the hardest to write. Please check out my website for tips.

Karen Tyrrell Thanks Linda Really look forward to your review on ME & HER: A Memoir Of Madness "Linda wrote: "I was touched from my heart with reading your book. I also wrote a book on my struggles and challenges I faced while having bipolar disorder. Except for Kevin Steele's book, The Day t..."