Richard Barnes's Reviews > Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy by John le Carré

M 50x66
May 14, 12

Read in May, 2012

A long, slow, luxurious book - a writer who's confidence with words shines through, a skillful piece where the language and the pace all serve to support the atmosphere that pervades the whole novel. Not a thrill-packed page-turner, like red bull and vodka, more of a full-bodied pinot noir which is taken slowly and where every mouthful is savoured.

Le Carre doesn't give you an easy ride; the story of plots and counter plots and spies spying on spies spying on spies is as complicated as the rich characters that tell the story. Le Carre uses a whole lexicon of spies; a world of legmen, moles, scalphunters and Mothers - and doesn't pause to hold the reader's hand. How pleasant it is to be treated like an adult.

I give it 5 stars because people should read this. I've got nothing against the pulp action of Clive Cussler, or even the techno thrills of Tom Clancy. I thoroughly enjoyed Bravo Two Zero. But, this a different kind of thriller. Deep, autumnal melancholy fills the pages, there is no triumph in the pursuit of the traitor, only a weary acceptance of another victim of the game.

I'd liken Le Carre to Colin Dexter (of Inspector Morse fame) - one could mistake their work for simple genre pieces, but both are craftsmen, using words to wonderful effect. This is storytelling at its best.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy.