Glinda Harrison's Reviews > Voyage of the Dead

4719383
May 28, 12

bookshelves: apocalyptic, zombie
Read from May 13 to 19, 2012

** spoiler alert ** It is hard to decide how to rate this book.

**Spoilers ahead**

Other than a few typos, the story was reasonably well written. The problems I had with the story were the many implausibility factors that really affected my suspension of disbelief. I have a really hard time believing that the people working on the yacht would just keep on working, just because they were "safe." The setup of the book had the protagonists so over- prepared, there were no real challenges or problems to solve. I found it hard to believe that government agencies would hand the control over to a private party, no matter how well prepared.

There were events that were never followed up on that left major holes in the plot. (To be fair, it is the first part of the series, so parts of the story may be followed up on in the second part to the series.)

I didn't feel that any of the characters were fully developed. Scott, the main character was horribly arrogant. The character of Carl was probably much more interesting, genuinely resourceful. The women characters in the book were nothing more than stereotypes, to the degree that they almost became jokes.

Because of the implausibility and the lack of any real problems, most of the book had no real tension to hold your interest.

For me, this book falls into the category of so-so zombie survivalist literature, the kind where more attention is paid to the details of the guns and equipment than are paid to the characters. There are a lot of good books like Day By Day Armageddon that do It much better.

Now. All of that being said, the book did have a certain excitement and momentum to it (at least as long as you don't think too much!). At the end of the book was an excerpt of the beginning of the next book in the series. When, I finished reading it, I very easily could have clicked through to buy the next installment. I still may. But if Flotilla of the Dead doesn't start following through with story lines, I won't give number three a chance....
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Voyage of the Dead.