Lara's Reviews > Riveted

Riveted by Meljean Brook

Sep 09, 2012

bookshelves: 2012-in-2012
Read from September 04 to 07, 2012 — I own a copy

A great third showing in the series. This book follows a young woman from The New World who had been orphaned, picked up off the street as a baby and adopted into a secret community of women on Iceland. The hero is half Native (American) and had been terribly injured as a child. He is now Infected with nanoagents and has new body parts about which he is very self-conscious.

This story is less action based, though is has a fair share, and more about the development of the relationship between the two main characters. Annika is unconventional by everyone's standards, yet is fiercely loyal and has built up friends away from her village. David has to learn to take some risks and be open, and to fully use his Infected status to save them both.

I found both characters wonderful and loved the way race plays such a different role in Ms Brook's world. However, I very disappointed by the cover art. It is quite clear in the book that Annika is of African descent (something that is not an issue in the world of the Iron Seas). Her hair is kinky and springy and short. He is Native. So this is a mixed race couple with non-conventional, by today's standards, races. However, race is not the important thing about them, though it is more relevant for David. The cover of the book shows a couple who may be olive-skinned, but are nowhere near representing the characters' ancestries. I seems like a cop-out by the publisher, afraid that the mainstream audience might be turned off if the main characters are too dark-skinned. Very sad.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Riveted.